<!-- Beispiele: https://di.c3voc.de/pad/slide-example -- Beispiel von CodiMD https://di.c3voc.de/pad/zAJdsL04TtKDhjPYbENXsQ?both -- Closing vom ersten DiVOC --> <!-- Clone of https://di.c3voc.de/pad/VCKNAPC6Re2WvswbqA4b5A# --> <!-- Fake Folien: https://pad.c3loc.de/Z6L0q3vDRp-zxdBmq1WwYA --> <style type="text/css"> .slides, .slides h1, .slides h2, .slides h3, .slides a, .slides p, .slides ul { font-size: 36px; font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif; color: #f0f0f0 !important; } .slides h1 { font-size: 64px; } .reveal section img { vertical-align: middle; background: none; box-shadow: none; border: none; margin: 0; } .img-flex { display: flex; flex-direction: row-reverse; justify-content: space-evenly; color: #f0f0f0; } .img-flex img { max-height: 600px; } .img-flex > div > ul { min-height: 400px; margin-right: 1em; display: flex; flex-direction: column; justify-content: space-evenly; color: #f0f0f0; } .img-row { height: 180px; width: 80%; display: flex; flex-direction: row; justify-content: space-evenly; margin: 2em auto; } </style> <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-transition="none" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <!-- ohne: data-background-image="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/ptt:pttbgstill.jpg" --> <font size=-0.5>Digital Verteiltes Online-Chaos &nbsp; ![Bunny](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:hiddenservice-logo.svg =120x120) &nbsp; Digitally distributed online chaos</font> <br /> # #DiVOC Forever ## Accept no substitutes <br /><br /><br /> stb - Benjamin - bruttl - DJ Spock Note: Minute 2 - bruttl Hi, we are dj-spock, benjamin, stb and bruttl - that's me - and we are going to tell you the story of DiVOC. The story starts when Covid started happening for many of us in early 2020, and then Easterhegg didn't happen. And then later on the GPN didn't happen, and MRMCD didn't happen. So instead, when Covid started to happen, DiVOC started to emerge: that's Digitally Distributed Online Chaos. And as I just said, it all started from Easterhegg. ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-transition="none" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Hidden Service? Hidden Slide! ## Summary DiVOC - Digitally distributed Online Chaos - is a series of online gatherings that has been happening in Chaos orbit during 2020. DiVOC is not a substitute for all those meetings that we have been able to attend in person, but it did create a legacy that might indeed remain useful well into the future. *Press 's' for speaker notes.* *Press ESC for slide overview.* Note: Description: The pandemic has led to a the cancellation of various Chaos events that a multitude of creatures would have loved to attend in 2020. Stepping in at the dates suddenly left unbooked in organisers' and participants' calendars, digitally distributed online Chaos aka DiVOC has been happening instead. From a predictably chaotic starting state, a rather unpredicted degree of self-organisation and complexity quickly began to emerge, with a dedicated community carrying a growing pool of experience and lessons learned forward through a series of events as the year progressed. In this talk, we would like to walk you through a behind-the-scenes review, highlighting a variety of perspectives, and in doing so explore how DiVOC is quite fundamentally different from yet-another-conference-moved-online-by-necessity. DiVOC is not a substitute for all those meetings that we so bemoan to not have been able to attend in person, but it did create a legacy that might indeed remain useful well into the future. We will emphasize the community aspect and, in the true spirit of DiVOC, invite you to start participating. --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <h1> DiVOC: Hidden Service (April 2020)</h1> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:hiddenservice-logo.svg" height="250px"> <div> <ul> <li>Very short term prep, less than 4 weeks</li> <!-- but CfP / talks were there --> <li>"Not a substitute", but used the energy<br /> invested in preparation for EasterHegg<br /> and EasterHegg Call for Participation</li> <li>Many firsts </li> <ul> <li>Self-organized sessions, continued "forever"</li> <li>Proper chaos feeling with your own DECT</li> <li>Overall: the excitement of something new</li> </ul> </ul> </div> </div> Note: Easterhegg 2020 had been well ahead in its planning when it became clear that it wouldn't be happening after all. But there was all this energy that had gone into preparations, there were talks submitted and accepted, and there was a team ready to go. So go they did, with less than 4 weeks of preparation, and they invented DiVOC: not a substitute, but, as it turned out, something new entirely. Many firsts: At the "end" self-organised sessions continued on indefinitely: "DiVOC forever". --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <h1> DiVOC: Home Lounge (May 2020) </h1> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:tschunktschogging_3.png" height="400px"> <div> <ul> <li>The party edition <ul> <li>music stream</li> <li>and more self-organised sessions</li> </ul> <li>notable first: <ul> <li>QuietQube at DiVOC <!-- which was actually more busy (with interaction) than the main lounge --> </li> </ul> </li> </ul> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <h1> DiVOC: Push to talk (September 2020) </h1> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:buttons_pttblau.png" height="300px"> <div> <ul> <li>Firsts: <ul> <li>Specific DiVOC-PTT Call for Participation</li> <li>Several teams did test runs for rC3, e.g.<br /> Parents/Guardian Space and Awareness</li> <li>Heaven and Angels</li> </ul> </li> <li>Consequences <ul> <li>Orga team larger than at previous DiVOCs</li> <li>Communication needs changed</li><li>Need for active onboarding</li> </ul> </li> </ul> </div> </div> Note: Minute 5 And with this, we will start going intos some of the details. Specifically, Benjamin will tell us more about these organisational aspects next, and then after that we move on to the technical solutions with stb. Benjamin: --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:meta_1_.png"> <div> <!-- The management aspects I'll describe now, mostly represent 'push to talk' because that was the DiVOC with most teams and somewhat the most professional event, that actually required something like management. --> <h1> Meta-Pad (1)</h1> <h2> Channels </h2> <ul> <!-- We used pads for almost everything to do with planning, even the slides of this talk run on CodiMD. Obviously we had a wiki but we didn't use it for the planning process itself apart from a few things to do with speaker communication and t-shirt sizes. --> <!-- There was a meta pad and you'll see examples of it on the right side of this and the next slides. --> <li>Meta pad is the central hub</li> <!-- every medium relevant to the event was listed here --> <li>Exception: the date of the next mumble was announced in the rocket chat</li> <!-- The reason for the exception is: my obsession with single source of truth. --> <li>One might use a wiki, but pads are ultimately more collaborative</li> <!-- and make the onboarding of new members easier with their simpler permission structure, which also makes new people feel more invited than when they first have to ask for wiki access. Using pads means having a low entrance barrier. --> </ul> </div> </div> Note: Minute 5 - Benjamin --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:meta_2_.png"> <div> <h1> Meta-Pad (2) </h1> <h2> The pads </h2> <ul> <!-- Here you roughly see the pad list of DiVOC 'push to talk'. --> <li>Meta pad links to all pads and all pads link to meta pad</li> <!-- Most of the time we had ... --> <li>Mumbles once a week, and in the last two weeks more often</li> <li>Mumble pads and feedback pads existed early</li> <!-- ... more about that later. --> </ul> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:meta_3_.png"> <div> <!-- The next thing in the meta pad was a persons list, here you see an imaginary one. --> <h1> Meta-Pad (3) </h1> <h2> Persons list </h2> <ul> <li>At DiVOC 'Push to talk': 21 people</li> <!-- When someone joined a DiVOC meeting for the first time, we asked 'what do you want to do?' and wrote it into the persons list, regardless how insignficant --> <li>Important: ask 'What do you want to do?'</li> <!-- ... and not 'what are you good at?' This comes with an optimistic conception of hacker, where, when someone is interested in something, they can learn it. It invites to explore, and exploration makes happy. Also, we never had to babysit anybodies motivation, because they were already doing what they wanted to do. Maybe that sounds trivial and as if you are doing it already. But maybe you are not, and I invite you to observe were you say 'we should do this and that' and how the burden of it develops, compared to things were you started from 'I want to do this and that'. I feel obliged to say that this communication that was based on voluntariness and intrinsic motivation did not always work perfectly from the very beginning, there were two teams that are more used to be approached like 'we need you, appear!', and in those cases the communication was a bit slow at first. How ever, I'm very convinced that working based on intrinsic motivation is a must-have in volunteer-driven events and I will definitely try to keep that culture, even if DiVOC grows and we might need even more management structure than at 'push to talk'. If it grows to 30 people I'd make a team list too though, not only a persons list. --> <li>At a larger event an additional team list would be good</li> </ul> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:meta_4_.png"> <div> <h1> Meta-Pad (4) </h1> <h2> Random / Drafts </h2> <!-- And then, the meta pad was home to random things and drafts. For instance an early stage of the call for Angels was lingering around as a draft for a couple of weeks in the meta pad. This is, once again, an invitation to work together. I'd argue that it is better having several people working on the Call for Angels on that same pad than having to merge texts later, nobody likes merging. --> <ul> <li>Early stages of what ever</li> <li>Event title, with genesis</li> </ul> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:mumble_pad.png"> <div> <h1> Mumble pads </h1> <ul> <!-- The pad for a mumble existed as soon as a mumble was announced. Here you see an imaginary mumble pad just before the meeting starts. --> <li>Every mumble pad contained:</li> <ul> <li>event date</li> <li>date of mumble</li> <li>link to meta pad</li> <li>list of mumble attendees</li> </ul> <li>Before the mumble: collecting topics</li> <!-- Before the mumble, people who wanted to discuss something, were invited to write those things into the agenda. This is good for two things, it supports singletasking, which makes happy and productive. And when by the beginning of the meeting there is already agreement about what is going to be discussed, that makes the meeting much smoother. In fact, we didn't need official moderators, in some sense the pad was the moderator. --> <!-- As soon as the need for a pad came to awareness, the pad was created and linked to in the meta pad. This was also true for feedback pads. And doing so is, in my opinion, important to keep everybodies mental load to a bearable level by promoting single-tasking, especially in stressful times. --> <li>Pad as invisible moderator</li> </ul> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden"data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> <div class="img-flex"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:q_a_pad.png"> <div> <h1> Q&A pads </h1> <!-- The idea for the Q&A Pads came up at 'Hidden Service', where we tried to get a low tech way of audience participation. --> <ul> <li>The Signal Angel cared for visual order in the pad and the Herald read the questions directly from the pad</li> <li>In the (very rare) case of bad behaviour on the pad, the Signal Angel changed the writing permission of the pad to 'team only' and added questions from matrix and twitter </li> </ul> <!-- The Q&A pads were an unexpected and lovely place of collaboration. People wrote down the speakers answers and answered each others question. It was the chaos, magically organizing itself --> <!-- And now to stb for the tech details. --> </div> </div> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Tech bits * Live video production * Workshops and Self-Organized Sessions * Communication & Community * Free Software & Open Source are working well Note: Minute 13 - stb --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Live video production (1) * OBS as remote-controlled video mixer * On-camera appearances sent to mixer via either * RTMP stream from each participant (moderator and speaker), low-latency audio via simultaneus Mumble connection, or * video conference (Jitsi/BBB) by "filming" a browser window from the video mixer * Low-latency communication between on-screen and production people via Mumble --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Live video production (2) * Playout via VOC, but others possible (RTMP) * Live Translation setup could not be set up correctly * People could and did listen directly to interpreters via Mumble * Some recordings still need to be edited to be uploaded to media.ccc.de * Pads via CodiMD * "Infobeamer" with slides / reveal.js * Questions and feedback via pads --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Live video production (3) * Preparation and rehearsal is key * Each on-screen participant needs to be prepared by the production crew * Processes (hand-over from moderator to speaker, Q&A) need to be rehearsed in real setup beforehand * Good documentation and How-Tos for speakers to prepare * 30 minutes to 2 hours per talk, depending on number of speakers and their experience --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Live video production (4) * About 4 people minimum (plus speakers): * Video director * Line producer for organizing things before and during * Herald/moderator * signal angel --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Workshops and Self-Organized Sessions * Wiki as central list of sessions, self-organized * Pointers to open Jitsi, BBB, etc. instances for session hosts to pick from * Surprisingly little work necessary by org team --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Communication & Community * Wiki for key information for participants * Mastodon and Twitter for outreach * POC supplied a virtual phone system * People contributed systems and setups for a variety of communication channels: Matrix, IRC, Discord --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Free Software & Open Source <br /> are working well * No dependency on proprietary tools & services * Interoperable protocols allow flexibility in tools * Multitude of tools gives agency * Using tools in interesting ways pulls together disparate groups --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Music ![Homelounge](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:tschunktschogging.png) Note: Minute 21 - dj-spock --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Content * No talks, just music and audio-art * Non-stop stream from Wednesday to Sunday * In cooperation with Radio Darmstadt and C-RadaR * Sphere Radio, All FM Note: dj-spock --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Technology * Icecast, FM, DAB+ * Seafile * Mixxx, Traktor, butt (broadcast using this tool) Note: dj-spock --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How it worked out ## (1) Content: * DiVOC Hidden Service - recycled CfP submissions from Easterhegg * DiVOC Push to talk - own CfP asking specifically for interactive contents * Example 1: multi-site transcontinental live transmission on stream <!-- broadcast via stream --> * Example 2: art workshop engaging the remote audience Note: Minute 25 - bruttl ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> ![Screenshot Connection Talk](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:connectionresistanceandautonomyinperipheralcommunities.png "title" =900x600) https://streaming.media.ccc.de/divoc_ptt/relive/233 ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> ![Screenshot Kunst Talk](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:istdaskunstoderistdasnurschoen.png "title" =900x600) https://streaming.media.ccc.de/divoc_ptt/relive/225 ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> ![Screenshot Mastodon Kunst](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:mastodonistdaskunst.png "title" =900x600) https://chaos.social/tags/divoc --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How it worked out ## (2) Audience = Contributors * DiVOCs are small community events -- DiVOC "is not for tourists" * attracts a certain type of crowd eager to contribute * An amazing level of self-organisation emerged * **many** self-organised sessions happened, then kept happening <!-- ("forever") --> * spontaneous self-organisation of participants (e.g. contributed Matrix channel, self-organising Q&A pads) * Distributed communities <!-- thrive particularly in this natively remote format --> * Example 1: Autismus-Nerdtalk * Example 2: Haecksen * Anecdotal evidence: a quite diverse and international crowd Note: - Breakfasts and other regular socialising series - c3 teams remote training runs at PTT - How does online community feeling emerge? - We still don't really know but it definitely DID happen - Topical conferences are abundant but true community events are rare - Successfully reduced reservations wrt online community events ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How it worked out ## Haecksen: Example of a distributed community ![](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:haecksen1.jpg =500x300) Rocketchat activity (green: new users and red: messages) spikes around times of DiVOCs throughout the year --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How it worked out ## (3) DiVOCs as community events that can * bring together members of distributed communities <!-- bring people together --> * get previously detached communities in touch with each other <!-- bring communities together --> * spawn new and improbable friendships * can be a lot of fun to organise and attend * BIG THANK YOU to all of you who made it all happen! * But also:<br /> DiVOCs are just not the same as RL events and *are not a substitute* Note: DiVOCs are events that have in the past done the following things and will hopefully continue to do these in the future: list But also: DiVOCs are their own thing, they are not a substitute, so when planning a DiVOC it's also important to manage expectations, People should not have unrealistic expectations! <!-- But also: Never mind the Nay-sayers, will always be there. --> With that said, let's look at the details of How to DiVOC <!-- "DiVOC schafft Freundschaft" - "DiVOC bringt Menschen zusammen" Not all distributed communties are institutionalised, with domains and mailing lists - a lot of the dynamics is happening in between small groups of individuals --> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How to DiVOC <br /> What can we offer? What can you offer? Note: Because: Let's not kid ourselves here, Covid is not done with us, so we are not done with DiVOC. (And that is the hidden, darker meaning of #DiVOC forever.) So if we are probably going to be doing more DiVOCs, what resources are there? Let's have a look at what we can offer and ask what you can offer. --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How to ## (1) Catch up on previous DiVOCs * Past event web pages at https://di.c3voc.de/ * https://di.c3voc.de/hiddenservice:start * https://di.c3voc.de/homelounge:start * https://di.c3voc.de/ptt:start * Recorded talks of past events: archive and temporary relive <!-- at https://media.ccc.de/ --> * https://media.ccc.de/c/divoc <br /> https://streaming.media.ccc.de/divoc/relive * https://media.ccc.de/c/divocptt <br /> https://streaming.media.ccc.de/divoc_ptt/halla <!-- - Self-organised sessions at https://di.c3voc.de/sessions-liste --> --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How To ## (2) Join the community * Self-organised sessions * at https://di.c3voc.de/sessions-liste * Join the community * IRC: #divoc on the hackint network * Matrix: #divoc:fairydust.space * Connect on social media * Mastodon https://chaos.social/@dic3voc * Twitter https://twitter.com/dic3voc --- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # How To ## (3) Organise a future DiVOC, or adopt <br />DiVOC elements into your event: * Resources at https://di.c3voc.de/howto:start * Contact the DiVOC team at divoc-ptt@hamburg.ccc.de * *Sneak preview 2021* &nbsp; ![](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:hiddenservice-logo.svg =100x100) &nbsp; ![](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:tschunktschogging_3.png =80x100) &nbsp; ![](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:buttons_pttblau.png =100x100) &nbsp; <font color="black" size="36px"> **? &nbsp; ? &nbsp; ?** </font> * Q&A * Join us for the interactive DiVOC workshop after this talk https://rc3.world/rc3/event/divoc-forever-workshop/ <!-- <div class="img-row"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:hiddenservice-logo.svg"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:tschunktschogging_3.png"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:buttons_pttblau.png"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:fragezeichen.png"> <img src="https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:fragezeichen.png"> </div> --> ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> Not the end: ![DiVOC bunny](https://di.c3voc.de/_media/rc3-vortrag:hiddenservice-logo.svg) DiVOC. For more fluffy bunny content. ---- <!-- .slide: data-visibility="hidden" data-theme="white" data-background-color="#4e99b2" --> # Lessons learned * Unexpectedly high level of active contributions by participants * e.g. self-organising Q&A pads, self-organised sessions * it's like any chaos event -- for better or worse * it's for makers and doers * Communication * Organisers among each other, organisers with speakers<br /> -- Can always improve! * Make streaming as easy as possible * Provide tools and training. * Preparation (of everything, but in particular tools) is essential.<br /> Allow for enough time Note: A learning experience for organisers :-) <!-- Left-overs; probably mostly addressed in Benjamins part # Organisation/Communication ## Meetings and pads - Metapad, including list of names <-> responsibilities - Weekly meetings (or more frequent), one pad per meeting - Topics beforehand to collaboratively set agenda - question pads for talks - for each pad - attendees at top - topics discussed updated live, joint minute-keeping - to dos at end with names attached ## Meeting culture - evolutionary aspect: - Hidden service (fewer people) to push to talk (more, incl. teams) - evolution from "I will do - fine with everyone else?" to "Where is the to do list, assign me a task" - in this context: self-organised assuming of responsibilities without previously existing structures - ingredients: no hierarchies, empathic communication, goal-oriented - "distributed collaborative/collective moderation" -->